Wednesday, August 24, 2011

English Accents & Then Some

I love them. English accents. Sometimes they're incomprehensible, and often take getting used to. But overall, they are my weakness in women, much like redheads and green eyes.

Who didn't love Beverly Crusher on TNG? Especially since I've recently noticed a striking similarity between her and Bryce Dallas Howard. There's also a similarity, if only in my childhood memories, between BDH and a girl, Hilary, I used to know. (I won't post her picture though, because that would require stalking that I am not comfortable with -- and she probably wouldn't be, either.)

But let's go back to the accent. That's the end-all undoing. Kate Beckinsale, check. Thank you for coming back to the Underworld franchise. I understand why it didn't need to be Kate in the 2009 movie. It was a prequel. And for the record, Rhona Mitra had me fooled for a moment. I thought she was Kate when I saw the Doomsday trailer. The accent, the hair, the cheekbones...the leather. But it wasn't Kate, and it wasn't Kate in Underworld: Rise of the Lycans either. I bought both Underworld 3 & Doomsday nonetheless.

The Spice Girls? Yup, and I can't even call myself a closet fan. I still love them today. Saw their reunion tour a few years back. Geri Halliwell's red hair still gets me, though she's toned it down quite a bit.

Emma Watson...what red-blooded American (lesbian) can say they're not in love there? Blasphemers, that's who. She's my modern Julia Ormond. And anyone who knows me knows no one can replace Mrs. Ormond. And Emma doesn't, but wow is she a close second.

Throw in, just as a bonus, a girl who knows how to smirk, or raise an eyebrow just right:  Sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment